6/15/2013

Reflections on Professional Experience


In faith based education the ability to be able to teach students according to the principles set forth by Jesus makes for a more spiritually centering experience and it is for this reason that I had what could only be described as a beautiful and inspiring professional experience. Catholic education is something special, it is a high quality holistic education which nurtures students and educates them to become well informed, highly skilled members of the community with a commitment to social justice and social consciousness. It is also the foundation in which full development of the person is valued  - intellectually, spiritually physically, morally and emotionally. And that is what I saw which was emanated by the principal, teachers and students at St Francis de Sales Catholic Primary School this semester.

Being part of the staff at St Francis de Sales even for those three weeks was a enlightening and enriching experience for me. To start with my mentor Mrs D, has to be one of the most patient, knowledgeable and nurturing people that I know. It was an honour to be in her class and to watch her teach as well as receive a wealth of wonderful advice about pedagogy and the early years. She had a way and commitment to the children that you could only have if you truly loved your job and it wasn't uncommon for many of the children that she had taught in earlier grades to run up and give her a big hug or ask advice when they saw her. If that is not touching a life forever in the most wonderful way possible, I don't know what is. I would be honoured to be half the teacher that she is. Then there was Mr P, Mr P is the principal and he has the most hilarious sense of humour but beautiful relationship with his staff, that it was hard not to be envious. As I said to him on several occasions I just wanted to bottle up ambient mood at his school and take it with me. How lucky the school is to have him.

As far as the development of my ICT related skills at this prac, I was supported and had the opportunity to try out a number of different approaches in my own pedagogical practices, learning very quickly about what worked and what didn't and through reflective practice finding ways to improve from lesson to lesson. But I have to say, that the highlight of my professional experience apart from teaching the beautiful children was being able to set up and conduct a professional development afternoon on teaching the principal and teachers how to use iPads. It was a wonderful opportunity for me to share what I knew with people who I now consider are my peers - even though I was extremely nervous. So overall my professional experience was wonderful and I am thoroughly looking forward to returning to St Francis de Sales later in the year. How was your professional experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment